Monday, November 19, 2012

A Kitchen-Cleaning Game: Sectors


My kitchen was dirty this morning. And I didn't make it that way. The other people who live here did. After I poured a cup of coffee and could make sense of where I was, I decided to travel back in time and be a 1950's housewife, sans the high heels, and with a dishwasher. Here's how I brainwashed myself:
  • I streamed some episodes of Leave It To Beaver.
  • I put on my grandmother's apron. (But then I took it off. Didn't look good with the PJ's.)
  • I wore rubber gloves. (Not really. I don't like rubber gloves.)
Next I broke the kitchen down into sectors. I really called them sectors.
  • Sector 1: The counter by the telephone
  • Sector 2: The stovetop
  • Sector 3: The counter by the microwave
  • Sector 4: The sink
  • Sector 5: The counter by the toaster
  • Sector 6: The wine rack
  • Sector 7: The kitchen table
  • Sector 8: The cat food area
  • Sector 9: The refrigerator
  • Sector 10: The floor
The idea is to focus on only one sector at a time. Man, Sector 1 had a serious pile of mail in it. I think I went through two episodes of Leave It To Beaver just shredding stuff. But once that deed was done, things went quickly. Sometimes I like isolating areas of a big mess this way in order to feel less overwhelmed. I also like traveling back in time.

Post Script: I am now taking a walk with shampooed hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment