Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pamper Thy Foot


Feet are really important. If your feet ache, you certainly won't feel like exercising on them. Same thing goes for knees. Many a time have I managed to get on a roll with a walking routine only to find it eventually sabotaged by an irritated foot or knee.

Lately my knees have been happy, but my feet have been achy on-and-off for about six months. While I'm walking, I actually feel fine, and the pain subsides. It's after sitting for a while or sleeping that the sharpest pain occurs.

I suspect I have a case of plantar fascilitis that sort of comes and goes. The best remedies I have found so far are:

  • Foot massage
  • Hot foot soaks with added menthol or tea tree oil
  • Rolling my foot on a frozen bottle of water
  • Arch supports (see below)
I already wear good shoes. People tell me that as women age, they need to give up buying cheap shoes and opt for the higher-priced supportive ones. I have Danskos, FitFlops, Jambus, Skechers, and New Balance and wear them every day. They don't really solve the problem, although matters would probably be worse without them.

This morning, I was at the salon having my completely natural very dark brown hair touched up at the roots, and my hair stylist friend recommended that I try arch supports. I went right out and bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's P.R.O. Heel Pain Relief Orthotics and Dr. Scholl's P.R.O. Arch Support Inserts/Orthotics. I tried the arch inserts while I walked a mile or so this afternoon. Usually at this point (30 minutes post-walk) I will begin to have very achy feet, but it does seem better after walking with the inserts. There is a little ache, but it's not as bad as usual. I'll try the heel inserts tomorrow.

Prospera iRelax Foot Spa

I have a Prospera iRelax Foot Spa and use it fairly often. My favorite treats from the drugstore to use with it are:
  • Pedifix Tea Tree Ultimates Soaking Crystals Foot Bath
  • Sally Hansen Just Feet Spa Peppermint Foot Creme
  • Ms. Pedicure Smooth Steppin' Exfoliating Foot Scrub
  • Ms. Pedicure Soft Soles Moisturizing Foot Lotion
  • Dr. Teal's Lavender Foaming Bath
  • Bath & Body Works Shea It Isn't So Foot Cream
I do a mean home pedicure, but the best thing going is a professional pedicure with foot massage and salt scrub. I'm due for one of those soon. Maybe I'll get one on Black Friday, since I finished my Christmas shopping on August 31! :) Visit my Christmas in August blog.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment