Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mirror Snobbery

Do you ever look in the mirror and catch yourself inflicting harm? I did a while ago. I was feeling kind of ashamed because I had neglected to take care of a task that should have been done last week, and I was calling myself a loser without uttering a word. The look on my face told me that I was not pleased with myself, and I was administering punishment by way of a disdainful reflection in the mirror.

After a moment or so, I started thinking, "Hey! Quit that. You're a human being. There are no human beings who don't make mistakes, so just quit it."

We're all just human beings here. Not one of us is perfect. Even the person on the other end of my mistake who didn't really seem to care one way or the other that I had screwed up probably blundered recently.

This wasn't my first error in life, and mirror-hate won't make it my last. So now I'm giving my normal self a manicure, enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, and doing something productive. It's not easy being human, but it's pretty dumb to expect yourself to be something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment